Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Why I'm Doing More Logic

I've done one logic class with prof. Silliman and I'm doing it again, first off, because logic is fun and , secondly, it has turned out to be academically and personally useful.

Logic is a lot like math. Some people just keep banging their heads up against it, and some people seem to grasp it almost intuitively (I'm sure there is also a category in between those as well). For math I am one of the people in the first category, uniformly resenting every second of math whenever it is required  that I learn it. But in logic I'm more in the second category. I think if you already read a lot\ you come across the forms of logic in your reading and on some level you are already working with concepts you have not formally learned yet.

In the last logic class I took the time was spent almost evenly between formal and informal logic, and while informal logic is very useful for casual applications, such as pointing out to your other philosophy major friends when they have committed a fallacy, I am ready to do some more formal logic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment